Making sense of sensors

One of the biggest issues with Marvin last year was the inconsistent readings from the ultrasonic sensors.  This was down to two main factors.   The first is that ultrasonic sensors only work well when they are perpendicular to the surface being measured.  The second was that the readings were being timed on the RPi itself... Continue Reading →

Advertisements

Marvin has sat in the corner rusting since PiWars 2017 but now he’s back !!!!!

After the relative success of PIWars 2017 in the beginners category (we came 2nd), we were struggling to decide whether to enter PiWars 2018.  After a lot of deliberating and (almost) at the last minute we decided to go for it.  This year we are in the intermediate category so need to up our game....... Continue Reading →

3d printing success

The build of the 3d printer went very well with only a few minor hiccups.  After some successful test prints, I decided it was time to go for the big one and attempt to print the main outer shell of Marvin. This went relatively well except that one of corners lifted slightly from the heatbed.... Continue Reading →

Building the electronics

The first stage in building the electronics was to make a mock up to check that all of the bits we intended to use worked together. For simplicity, we bought in various modules for the voltage regulator, the amplifier and the motor controllers.  Initially, we "bodged" these together on a bit of stripboard and hooked... Continue Reading →

3D Printing soon !

It's been a while since the last update and over Christmas, the project hasn't progressed much. We have however, made a Printed Circuit Board base plate to attach all of the electronic parts to and that is in the process of being populated - fingers crossed it is all correct. In November, we pre-ordered a... Continue Reading →

Mobility Issues Part 2

After deciding the previous motors were not fast enough, we searched for an alternative.  We came across the micro metal gear motors sold by Pimoroni. Calculations showed that The 50:1 ratio motor attached to the moon buggy wheels (Also sold by Pimoroni) would give us double our previous speed - approx 1m/S. As before, we... Continue Reading →

Mobility issues

After ordering the brushless motors, wheels and hubs we decided to try them to see how fast they were.  We had already calculated the speed at approx 0.5m/S but as with most things it is better to see it for real. Unfortunately, when the parts arrived, it was clear that the hubs weren't designed to... Continue Reading →

CamJam October 2017

I went to the CamJam in October with my family.  The thing I liked the most was the Logic Gate game. The aim of the game was to say which type of logic gate was used based on which lights were on.  The reason it was so much fun is that you had to touch... Continue Reading →

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑